This weekend there is lots to do in Savannah, whether that means watching an old film, adopting a cat — or doing yoga with them. Bevin Valentine Jalbert of Paprika Southern has your guide.
- Get some shopping done at the Desoto Street Market Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Present will be vendors selling locally made goods, food trucks, Two Tides Brewery, live music, arts and crafts and a soft opening of Forest and Fin studio at their new location. The studio is teaming up with Fete Chalet to offer in-house kombuchas, teas, cold brew and other beverages, as well as class demos for all ages with Jessica Duthu from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Admission is free.
- Pamper yourself at the Paris Laundry Pop-up Shop at Hygge Saturday from 2 to 5 p.m. You'll be able to try some of their favorite clean beauty products and learn makeup tips and tricks. Since breast cancer is at the forefront of Paris Laundry's mission, 10% of sales will be donated to The Breasties, a nonprofit organization that supports young women affected by breast and reproductive cancers.
- Catch a classic film at a screening of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, the 1958 classic nominated for six Academy awards including Best Picture, at the Trustees Theater Saturday from 7 to 9 p.m. Brick (Paul Newman), an alcoholic ex-football player, drinks his days away and resists the affections of his wife, Maggie (Elizabeth Taylor). His reunion with his father, who is dying of cancer, jogs memories and revelations for both father and son. Stay after for a Q&A with SCAD film professors. Admission is free for SCAD card holders; $5 for seniors, students and military; $8 for the general public.
- Try your hand at unfamiliar art with Ashley Flynn from Alchemy and the Sea at the Smudge Kit Workshop at Abode Studios Sunday from 3 to 4:30 p.m. Attendees will use local materials such as Mugwort and clam shells and crystals collected from the shores of Long Beach, Ny. to learn about art smudging and build their own smudge kits. Tickets are $40; materials included.
- Relax and do some yoga at EveryBODY Yoga with Jessamyn Stanley at Savannah Yoga Center. Experience a body positive approach to yoga and celebrate your body by considering how you feel rather than how you look when practicing yoga. Stanley is a renowned yoga teacher, body positivity advocate and writer based in Durham, Nc. The event runs Saturday from 10 to 11 a.m. and and 1 to 3 p.m., and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. Saturday is currently sold out but has a wait list; tickets are donation-based for the first slot and $40 for the second slot and Sunday's.
- Do yoga with cats at Cat Yoga at Pounce Cat Café Saturday from 9:45 to 11:15 a.m. and at Cats on Mats at Savannah Yoga Barre Sunday from 1 to 2 p.m. Cat Yoga is $22 per person and includes a one hour flow class with cats, 30 minutes of kitty cuddles after the class and a beverage which can be coffee, tea or a meow-mosa. Cats on Mats features an all-levels yoga class to benefit Tabby Tales Rescue and adoptable kittens. A $20 donation is suggested at the door.