On Second Thought continues its "Main Ingredient" series in which a chef tells us about his or her essential southern ingredient.
For Chef Deborah VanTrece, it's okra — a key ingredient she's cooked with since she was a teenager. VanTrece invited us into her restaurant kitchen at Twisted Soul Cookhouse and Pours in Atlanta and prepared succotash with okra.
- 1 Onion
- 1 cup Garlic
- Corn (VanTrece used fresh corn from cob)
- chopped okra (remove tips from ends)
- salt, pepper, sugar, garlic powder, onion powder (for flavor)
- Place bacon in a hot pan. (You can also place bacon in the oven and reserve the fat)
- Remove bacon and sautee onions until they beome translucent.
- Add in garlic, chopped tomato, okra and jalepenos.
- Cook on med-high until vegetables become soft.
- Add in seasonings for flavor.
- Remove from heat and top dish with crumbled bacon.
- Let cool before serving.
Get in touch with us.