September brings plenty of fun to the Savannah area. Claire Sandow of the Tourism Leadership Council has some tips.
- Pig out all weekend at Savannah's Bacon Fest, on River Street. Local vendors like Tondee Tavern, Bayou Cafe and Chocolat by Adam Turoni will offer just about anything you can imagine, wrapped in or infused with bacon, starting at 4 p.m. on Friday and 10 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday.
- Head to the theater for the latest production from The Collective Face: Big Love, a modern take on the Greek tragedy The Danaids. It follows 50 sisters who flee Greece to avoid marrying their 50 cousins. The show is at Savannah State's Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts at 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday and 3 p.m. Sunday; $25 general admission, $20 for seniors, students and military, $5 for SSU students. Runs through Sept. 23.
- Have some healthy fun at the Savannah Children's Museum's Healthy Me! 2018. The event includes yoga for kids, an educational garden on wheels and lots of ways to learn about your body and health, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday; $7.50 general admission, free for Coastal Heritage Society members.
- Run for a cause at the annual Tunnel to Towers 5K, beginning and ending on Orleans Square. The run honors the first responders killed responding to the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. It also raises funds for a foundation that supports veterans and first responders. The run begins at 8 a.m. Saturday; $35 in advance, $45 day-of, discounts for kids, military and first responders.
- Enjoy yoga, beer and tacos at Namastay & Have A Beer. First it's a 60-minute yoga class at Starland Dairy, followed by Two Tides beer and tacos from Bull Street taco. It all starts at noon on Saturday; $35.
- Take in Savannah's art with some help from the Savannah Art Walk. The fun begins with a cocktail and a chance to mingle with artists at the Hyatt. Next, explore participating downtown galleries before wrapping things up at the DeSoto Savannah Hotel after party. The walk starts at 2 p.m., with the after party at 6 p.m.; free.