This sunny weekend in Savannah, there's lots to do from trying your luck in a hot dog eating contest to listening to Billie Holiday cabaret tributes. Joshua Peacock, editor of Do Savannah, has your guide.
- Join Ain't Bad and Laney Contemporary Thursday from 6 to 9 p.m. for Midsummer’s Night Hot Dog Eating Contest. They will be celebrating current photography exhibits while Service Brewing's Kevin Ryan mans the grill. The hot dog eating contest begins at 7 p.m.; the winner of which will receive $50 cash, an Ain't Bad book set and tote bag and a six pack of Service Beer. Admission is free.
- Learn about the life of Billie Holiday at Billie Holiday Cabaret at Victory North for their cabaret series Thursday from 7 to 10 p.m. Victory North will shine a spotlight on the talent and complexity of the legendary jazz singer with Jane Ogle's "Billie at Victory" tribute, featuring more than 20 songs framed by stories from Holiday's life. The show highlights the peaks of Holiday's career but doesn't gloss over the low points. Tickets are $25.
- Support the band back together again at 10 Years at Victory North. 10 years band is an alt-metal group that peaked in the early 2000s then broke up, yet they are coming back together again for a new tour. The show is from 7 to 11 p.m. Friday. Tickets are $20 general admission; 18 and over only.
- Honor your inner film buff at the Lucas Theatre's Hitchcock or Hepburn Series: "Rebecca," Friday at 7 p.m. Viewers can relive the intrigue and glamour of Old Hollywood in the series of alternating thrillers and romances. This Hitchcock film tells the story of a young woman who marries a fascinating widower only to find out she must live in the shadow of his former wife, Rebecca, who died mysteriously several years earlier. Admission is $5 for SCAD card holders, non-SCAD students, children under 15, seniors and military; $8 for the general public.
- Join in Brazilian-inspired fun at Savannah Carnaval at the Clyde Venue Saturday at from 6 to 10 p.m. In effort to fully fund a service dog for a local Savannah child in need through the SD Gunner Fund, the event will feature jaw-dropping aerial acrobatics, flamenco dancers, ornate costumes, competitive games, food and more. Tickets are $30.
- Hang out at Coastal Empire Beer Co. for local musician Jacob Evans' debut album release party Saturday from 7 to 10 p.m. Other local artists will be there as well, along with Beauregard's Chariot: A BowTie Barbecue Foodtruck. Admission is free.
- Return to Woodstock at the Peace and Love Tour Woodstock tribute at the Savannah Civic Center. Celebrate the 50th anniversary of a rock and roll moment that changed history. Cover bands will help you to relive the music of the Grateful Dead, Jimmy Hendrix, Janis Joplin and more from the Woodstock era. The event runs from 7 to 10 p.m. Saturday. Tickets run up to $39.
- Watch Savannah Sweet Tease honor your favorite video games at their Pixels and Pasties video game-themed burlesque show Saturday from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. Whether you love Sonic, Bayonetta or Princess Peach, they'll have it all ready for you and much more that they can't wait to show off. Tickets are $20.